Sunday, October 2, 2011

Back to blogging...

Even though things are pretty busy these days, I've been feeling the urge to start this blog back up.  I hope to use it as an outlet to share things I like: recipes, science, pictures, ideas, and travelogues. It will probably mostly be about food :) Hope you enjoy!


So, today I'll start with a recipe that we made recently.  Lately, cooking has been a way for me to unwind at the end of the day.  I used to pretty much to stick to recipes, but lately I've been pushed to experiment and "create" or adapt dishes from what I know.

In the fall time, I just adore pumpkins and squashes.  I can't help buying all different shapes and colors of pumpkins, squashes, and gourds.  To me, there is nothing cuter than a heaping basket of squashes and gourds piled together.  Utilizing that pile for dinner is also fantastic!

I give you: Spicy Turkey Sausage in Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti Squash!  This is a pretty quick and easy, delicious meal and it is low carb!




Spicy Turkey Sausage in Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti Squash
(Serves 4 good eaters)
2 spaghetti squash
1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
1 sweet onion
2-3 chopped garlic cloves
1 can tomatoes
2 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
honey
fresh basil leaves
salt & pepper 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper generously, place cut size down in 9x13 glass dish.  Bake for about an 1 hour, until nutty, slightly browned and tender.

In the mean time start the sauce. I always used to use a jar of sauce, but I recently discovered just how easy and delicious it is to make homemade sauce. So, for the meat sauce: remove casings from spicy Italain turkey sausage. Brown and break apart in big/ deep frying pan. Add chopped onion and 2-3 large finely chopped garlic cloves.  Once meat, onions and garlic are nicely browned, add can of tomatoes (don't drain), 2 cans of tomato sauce (one will do in a pinch, you'll just have less sauce) and tomato paste.  Next, I usually add a shake of garlic powder, onion powder, and S & P.  I like a slightly sweet, spicy sauce with the nutty squash, so I also add about a tablespoon of honey.  Add 4-6 whole basil leaves and simmer sauce on low until squash is cooked.

Remove squash from oven, let cool slightly, scrape squash with fork into bowl. Salt lightly, spoon meat sauce over, top with Parmesan cheese, serve and ENJOY!   

No comments:

Post a Comment